Biography and Career
Jon Andreas Nödtveidt (28 June 1975 - 13 August 2006) was a Swedish musician known as the lead guitarist and vocalist of Dissection. He co-founded the band in 1989 with bassist Peter Palmdahl.
At the beginning of his musical career, he formed a heavy metal band called Thunder with his brother Emil in 1988. Their songs were presented in a compilation album of Jon's music school in Strömstad.
Nödtveidt also performed in several other projects, including The Black (as Rietas), De Infernali, Nifelheim, Ophthalamia (as Shadow), Satanized, Siren's Yell, and Terror, a grindcore band which featured members of At the Gates.
He also worked as a journalist in Metal Zone, where he was responsible for keeping track of the growing black metal scene. He was a member of the Misanthropic Luciferian Order, now known as Temple of the Black Light, and the Werewolf Legion, a Swedish gang (not to be confused with the Russian Werewolf Legion). Contrary to popular belief, he was not its co-creator, but "was introduced [...] by close friends at a quite early stage."
Nödtveidt was convicted of being an accessory to the 1997 murder of Josef ben Meddour, an Algerian gay man. Jon Nödtveidt (aged 31) shot and killed himself on August 13th, 2006. Swedish police found him in his apartment inside a circle of lit candles. It is believed that he killed himself because he felt he had achieved all that he could/was meant to in this life. According to some who actually knew him, this was probably planned ever since he got out of jail.
Jon was a member of the Temple of black light, an occult order founded in Sweden. He restarted Dissection upon his release from prison in 2004.
The band first disbanded due to Jon Nödtveidt's accomplice to a murder conviction. He was serving time in prison from 1997 until early 2004 and then reactivated the band.
Guitars, Vocals (1989-1997, 2004-2006)
- 1991 The Grief Prophecy (Demo) Guitars, Vocals
- 1991 Into Infinite Obscurity (Demo) Guitars, Vocals
- 1992 The Somberlain (Demo) Guitars, Vocals
- 1993 Promo '93 (Demo) Guitars, Vocals
- 1993 The Somberlain Guitars (lead, rhythm, acoustic), Vocals, Songwriting (tracks 1, 2, 4-6, 8-11), Lyrics
- 1995 Storm of the Light's Bane Rough-Mix (Demo) Guitars, Vocals
- 1995 Storm of the Light's Bane Guitars (rhythm, lead, acoustic), Vocals, Songwriting (tracks 1-7), Lyrics
- 1996 Where Dead Angels Lie / Bastard Saints (Split) Guitars, Vocals
- 1996 Where Dead Angels Lie (EP) Guitars, Vocals
- 1997 Live & Plugged Vol. 2 (Split video) Guitars, Vocals
- 1997 The Past Is Alive (The Early Mischief) (Compilation) Vocals (tracks 1-9), Guitars (rhythm, acoustic) (tracks 1-9), Guitars (lead)
- 2003 Live Legacy (Live album) Guitars (lead), Vocals, Lyrics
- 2004 Maha Kali (Single) Guitars, Vocals, Lyrics
- 2005 Promo 2005 (Demo) Guitars, Vocals
- 2006 Reinkaos Guitars, Vocals, Songwriting
- 2006 Starless Aeon (Single) Guitars, Vocals
- 2006 Rebirth of Dissection (Video) Guitars, Vocals
- 2009 Live in Stockholm 2004 (Live album) Guitars, Vocals
- 2010 Live Rebirth (Live album) Guitars, Vocals
- 1995 ...of Evil (Demo) Vocals, Drums
- 1989 A Question in Pain (Demo) Guitars (as "Jon")
- 1991 Rehearsal '91 (Demo) Guitars
Guitars, Vocals (backing) (1988-1989)
- 1988 Demo (Demo) Guitars
- 1994 Demo 1994 (Demo) Vocals
Guitars, Vocals, Keyboards (1992-1993)
- 1992 Black Blood (Demo) Vocals
- 1994 The Priest of Satan Guitars, Vocals, Keyboards
- "Cold Winds" on Deaf Metal Sampler (Deaf, 1993).
- "Night's Blood" on Death...is Just the Beginning III (Nuclear Blast, 1994).
- "Soulreaper" on UHF/VHF (Relapse, 1995).
- "The Antichrist" on Slatanic Slaughter - A Tribute to Slayer (Black Sun Records, 1995).
- "Unhallowed" on Blackend: The Black Metal Compilation Volume 2 (Death Records, 1997).
- "Starless Aeon" on The Dark Psyche (The End Records, 2006).
- "Where Dead Angels Lie" and "Elizabeth Bathory" on Nordic Metal: A Tribute to Euronymous(Necropolis Records, 1995 / Karmageddon Media, 2004 / Hammerheart Records, 2012).