Øystein "Euronymous" Aarseth
Biography and Career
Øystein Aarseth, who went by the pseudonym Euronymous, was a Norwegian guitarist and co-founder of the Norwegian black metal band Mayhem.
Aarseth formed the original Mayhem line up in 1984. At the time he was going by the stage name "Destructor" but on joining the band he changed his name to Euronymous, derived from the Greek mythological spirit (daemon) of the underworld Eurynomos.
Aarseth was a practitioner of Theistic Satanism and admittedly held a disdain for individualism. He stated that Satanism came from religious Christianity, hence he was a religious person. His views were a deliberate fundamental inversion of Roman Catholic dogma. However, Varg Vikernes claimed that Aarseth was not a real Satanist.
He was also the owner of the record shop Helvete, Norwegian for "Hell". The store became a major gathering place for many black metal bands and members of the scene. Euronymous was the major figurehead of the group, and founded a group for the "elite" black metal followers/band members to be involved in, calling themselves "The Inner Circle". Some members would preach to each other on destroying and defiling churches, graveyards, and anything of Christian belief. Euronymous firmly expressed his hope that black metal would incite young people to violence, torture, murder, and pain. According to some people/rumors he's also responsible for turning a few Norwegian death metal bands into black metal such as Darkthrone of 'Soulside Journey' evolving within a year to black metal, Thou Shalt Suffer later ''becoming'' Emperor, Amputation / Old Funeral's members expanding and becoming Immortal, Burzum and Hades. Satyricon also started as death metal.
He also owned an underground label called Deathlike Silence Productions after a Sodom song. He released albums from such bands as Merciless, Burzum, Enslaved, Sigh, and Abruptum.
On August 10th, 1993, Varg Vikernes murdered Euronymous in his apartment with Snorre W. Ruchacting as an accomplice. Their relationship before the murder was tense, as their friendship and a musical relationship started going downhill. Vikernes, who had started to play bass in Mayhem, murdered Euronymous with several stab wounds to his body.
- 1986 Metalion in the Park (Demo) Guitars
Guitars (1984-1993), Vocals (1984-1986)
- 1986 Pure Fucking Armageddon (Demo) Guitars, Vocals (see notes)
- 1987 Deathrehearsal (Demo) Guitars
- 1987 Deathcrush (Demo) Guitars
- 1987 Deathcrush (EP) Guitars
- 1990 Studio Tracks (Demo) Guitars
- 1993 Live in Leipzig (Live album) Guitars
- 1994 De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Guitars
- 1995 The Dawn of the Black Hearts - Live in Sarpsborg, Norway 28/2, 1990 (Live album) Guitars
- 1996 Freezing Moon (Single) Guitars
- 1996 Out from the Dark (Compilation) Guitars
- 1999 Necrolust / Total Warfare (Split) Guitars
- 2002 Jihad / Freezing Moon (Split) Guitars
- 2004 Cult of Aggression (Video) Vocals, Guitars
- 2008 Life Eternal (EP) Guitars
- 2008 Pure Fucking Mayhem (Video) Guitars
- 2016 Live in Zeitz (Live album) Guitars
- 2017 Live in Sarpsborg (Live album) Guitars
- 2017 Live in Jessheim (Live album) Guitars
Burzum (Guest \ Session)
- 1992 Burzum Guitars (lead) (track 5), Gong (track 9)
- 1995 Burzum / Aske (Compilation) Gong, Guitar solo
- 2005 Burzum / Aske Gong (track 9), Guitars (lead) (track 5)